Sunday, May 22, 2011

Arrival in Hilo

Hello all! I am here - in lovely Hilo, Hawaii.

After a long uneventful trip, with three stops, my plane arrived in Hilo at 7:30pm (a half hour early!) Having been awake for 20 hours, the only thing I did after checking in to the hostel is brush my teeth and hit the sack.

If you come to Hilo, before I get my place of course, you really ought to stay at the Hilo Bay Hostel. I feel like I am at home - although my home wasn't this awesome really. What I mean is I feel quite comfortable and safe. I am composing this post in the common room under a lovely skylight. There are slowly spinning ceiling fans, a couple of squawking macaws, and old school Hawaiiana decor.

There are lots of lovely people staying here. A few small families, some single travelers, but mostly groups of young people. The owner joked last night as some of the young patrons sat at the dining room table playing Scrabble that most people their age were out playing drinking games.

I have been taking it easy the past few days because I've had a bit of jet-lag. My mind gets muddy by 5:00pm. When people ask me simple questions I noticed I talk so slow. ("Where am I from? Uh. Um. I'm from........Baltimore.")

I am going to chill out this beautiful sunny Sunday so that I can function a lot better the coming week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment